As an essential appliance in every household, the dishwasher is expected to make our lives easier by taking care of the dirty dishes. However, many people neglect to take care of their dishwasher properly, which can lead to a shorter lifespan and even more dirty dishes. In this article, we will reveal the dirty secret of your dishwasher and provide tips on how to clean it properly to increase its lifespan.
Understanding the Dirty Secret of Your Dishwasher
The dirty secret of your dishwasher is the accumulation of food debris, grease, and soap scum that can build up inside the dishwasher over time. This can lead to unpleasant odors, clogged drains, and poor cleaning performance. Additionally, the accumulation of food debris can lead to the growth of bacteria and mold, which can be harmful to your health.
How to Clean Your Dishwasher
To clean your dishwasher properly, you will need some basic supplies, including white vinegar, baking soda, a toothbrush, and a soft cloth. Follow these steps to clean your dishwasher:
- Remove the Dish Racks: Start by removing the dish racks from the dishwasher and inspecting them for any debris or leftover food. Clean them using warm soapy water and a sponge.
- Clean the Spray Arm: The spray arm is responsible for distributing the water inside the dishwasher to clean the dishes. Over time, it can become clogged with food debris, which can affect its performance. To clean the spray arm, remove it from the dishwasher and use a toothbrush to remove any debris. Rinse it under running water and replace it.
- Clean the Interior: The interior of the dishwasher can also become dirty and stained over time. To clean it, sprinkle baking soda across the bottom of the dishwasher and run a hot water cycle. Then, pour white vinegar into a dishwasher-safe cup and place it on the top rack. Run another hot water cycle to remove any remaining debris and stains.
- Clean the Filters: The filters inside the dishwasher are responsible for trapping food debris and preventing it from clogging the drains. Over time, the filters can become clogged and affect the dishwasher’s performance. To clean the filters, remove them from the dishwasher and rinse them under running water. Use a soft brush to remove any debris and replace them.
- Clean the Exterior: Finally, clean the exterior of the dishwasher using a soft cloth and warm soapy water. Pay special attention to the control panel and buttons, which can become dirty and sticky over time.
Tips to Increase the Lifespan of Your Dishwasher
In addition to cleaning your dishwasher regularly, there are some additional tips you can follow to increase its lifespan:
- Run Hot Water First: Before starting the dishwasher, run hot water in the sink for a few minutes to ensure that the water entering the dishwasher is hot. This will help to improve the cleaning performance and prevent the buildup of debris.
- Scrape Your Dishes: Before placing your dishes in the dishwasher, scrape off any large food debris and rinse them under running water. This will help to prevent the filters from becoming clogged and improve the cleaning performance.
- Don’t Overload: Overloading the dishwasher can put stress on the spray arm and affect its performance. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for loading the dishwasher to ensure that it works properly.
- Use the Right Detergent: Using the wrong detergent can affect the dishwasher’s performance and even damage it. Be sure to use a detergent that is specifically designed for use in dishwashers and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for use.
In conclusion, the dirty secret of your dishwasher is the buildup of food debris, grease, and soap scum that can affect its performance and lifespan. By following the tips outlined in this article, you can clean your dishwasher properly and increase its lifespan. Remember to clean the spray arm, interior, filters, and exterior of the dishwasher regularly, and follow the additional tips to ensure that it works properly. With a little bit of care and maintenance, your dishwasher can continue to make your life easier for years to come.